Friday, February 17, 2012

Recipe Organization

Are you like me and have the following:
  • many many recipes that you've printed out from online?
  • magazines that have a recipe that you'd hoped to try someday?
  • recipe books that you use for only 3 recipes?
Does your stash of recipes start to look like this :

Then I bet you'll be as excited as I was to turn my cluttery recipe stash into this!


I've tried the recipe box and it just wasn't cutting it.  It was getting too messy and didn't fit everything I had!! I got the recipe binder idea from my wonderful sister in law.  We would be cooking something and she'd whip it out and flip right to what she wanted to find.  I loved it.  Although, hers could use an upgrade, and I have made it my goal to help her with that. ;)

Let's get started! What do you need?

**a 1 1/2-inch binder that has page inserts on the cover (ok, this is not essential, but then how could you insert the cute printable??)

**page dividers  Any will work, but you can also try some that have pockets in them.  I loved these Avery Style Edge dividers and it comes with 8.  Here, I put my "breakfast" insert into a page protector and then taped the divider to the back of the page protector. I did this because if you use the holes...you won't be able to see the tab anymore, because of using page protectors.
**page protectors (sure you could 3 hole punch, but this will keep the splatters off
**PRINT whichever printables suit you for your binder.  A HUGE shout out to my friend Brittney from Gettin' Scrappy With Britt.  She designed the CUTEST inserts for your book! Email me at geetaraub@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to send you whichever ones you need.  There is also one for Pasta/Pizza that is not shown here:


I only had EIGHT tabs because I really don't have a ton of recipes.  So I used : Appetizers, Bread, Breakfast, Dessert, Soup/Salads, Veggie/Sides, Meatless and I used the BEEF page for all my MEAT recipes.  Now, my sister in law has SO many recipes so she likes her meat categories broken down.  It also gets hard for them all to fit into one binder....so here are her two binders. ;) There are similar tabs that are larger, so there are 5 in a pack. So I put 5 in each binder


When you are organizing your recipes, to save space, you might want to bunch smaller recipes together...either re-typing them to put several on a page
OR you can use the page protectors with pockets to insert just half a sheet or a recipe card:

 Recipe Card Pockets - 

12 pages with 2 pockets each page for $3.95 on Amazon

1 page with 3 pockets for $.50 each found here :  http://www.engravedgiftcollection.com/catalog/P-536B.html
 

4 comments:

  1. I so need to do this. How much are those cute printable inserts, I might want to buy some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love it! My recipe box is stuffed to overflowing and not very useful at the moment! What a great idea! I want the printables! Will you email them to me? Thanks Miss Aubrey! If I could afford you, I'd hire you to make all your stuff for me too! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working on this right now but in the personal size binder. IT is about half the size of a normal binder. Taking a while....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking at several versions of books like this online - yours is so cute! What is that font you used for typing the recipes?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...